A notary is a qualified lawyer whose work is recognised internationally, unlike the work of Solicitors. The primary function of a notary therefore, is the preparation of documents and the authentication of clients’ identities and signatures principally for use abroad.
Law Training Centre is the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s (FOAC) preferred provider of the Notarial Academic Training Course stage, with the second stage (Notarial Practice Course) being delivered by UCL.
FOAC is the legal regulator of the notarial profession, and with its origins in the Ecclesiastical Licences Act 1533, it is the oldest and most established legal regulator in the world.
Law Training Centre is the only provider who is approved to deliver and assess the Notarial Academic Training Course.
Our Notarial Academic Training Course modules include both a comprehensive preparation course and assessment (with one resit if required). The course is split into five core modules and three professional modules, each of which can be purchased individually.
Enrolment is now open for our Notarial Academic Training Course.
For more information about Law Training Centre’s accredited Notarial Academic Training Course, please get in touch with our friendly Student Support Team:
Tel: +44 (0)330 088 8495
Email: [email protected]
What do notaries do?
Notaries provide their services principally to commercial firms engaged in international trade and also assist private individuals with overseas transactions, such as:
- Preparing and witnessing powers of attorney for use overseas
- Dealing with purchase or sale of land and property abroad
- Providing documents to deal with the administration of the estate of people who are abroad, or who own property abroad
- Authenticating personal documents and information for immigration or emigration purposes, or work visas for overseas employment
- Authenticating company and business documents and transactions
- Notarising medical reports and police reports for use in connection with accidents abroad
- Dealing with documents for weddings abroad
- Consents to allow minors to travel abroad.
Notaries are also entitled to deal with conveyancing and other non contentious work in England and Wales.
Why become a notary?
There are several benefits to qualifying as a notary, including:
- Standing out from the crowd. As a qualified notary you are offering a potential employer the benefit of being able to attract additional clients to their practice
- If you also practise as a solicitor or barrister being a notary can provide an additional source of income
- Less competition. In many towns there may only be one or two notaries, giving you the edge in a highly competitive legal market
- Being a notary gives you exposure to a worldwide profession, not just restricted to England and Wales.
For more information about becoming a notary, please see the complete FOAC overview.
Notarial Academic Training Course – Core Modules
Notarial Academic Training Course – Professional Modules
Each Notarial Academic Training Course module provides the learner with the same set of course features as listed below:
Course fees and enrolment
£895 all inclusive price per individual module (20% discount applies for multi-module purchase).
This price includes:
- 12 month access to virtual learning environment for one module (24 month access for 3 modules or more).
- 1 assessment and 1 resit if needed*. If required, tutor feedback on the assessment will be provided to support the learner prior to a resit.
- No fixed enrolment or assessment dates (after course launch on 29 September 2022).
- Results and feedback. The exam team endeavour to return assessment results and feedback by email directly, normally within 10 working days from the date of the assignment.
Please use the buttons below to view our course fees and enrol.
Law Training Centre accepts PayPal as a payment option. A link to PayPal will be provided on your invoice when you sign up for a course. PayPal is a secure card processor and allows you to use your debit or credit card to pay, you do not need to have a PayPal account to use this service.
Law Training Centre has a partnership with Lendwise to help you fund both your course fees as well as the cost of your exam/s. Lendwise is a student loan provider through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies and exam fees.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan and no early repayment penalties. The minimum loan amount is £2,000, and the interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.
Please contact Lendwise directly to apply for your loan.
Law Training Centre will price match on selected courses. The price match will be based on a ‘like for like’ course from another provider. The ‘like for like’ determination is at the discretion of Law Training Centre.
The price match is available for new and existing learners with Law Training Centre to apply for when buying new courses. The price match must be applied for and agreed by Law Training Centre in advance of any course purchase.
If you would like to request a price match on our Notarial Academic Training Course, please contact our friendly Student Services Team with evidence showing a similar course from another provider at a price which you would like Law Training Centre to match. A course purchased with a price match can be paid via instalments, however an admin fee may be applied for setting up an instalment plan.
A price match cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or scholarship.
For more information please contact our Student Services Team by email via [email protected] or by calling +44 (0)330 088 8495
*If required, the resit must take place within the course access period.
Standard Terms and Conditions apply and can be provided when required.
What will I need before I get started?
To study your online course, you will need the following:
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- Computer / laptop / Google Chromebook / Apple MacBook
- Keyboard and a mouse or another pointing device
- Broadband connection with 10 Mbps average speed
- An Ethernet cable for maintaining internet stability
- Working microphone, either internal or external
- Webcam with 320 x 240 VGA resolution, either internal or external
Minimum System Requirements:
- Preferred Internet Browser: Google Chrome
- Operating System: Windows 7+ / macOS 10.11+ / Chrome 58+
- Free RAM: 2GB
- Processor: 2GHz Intel Pentium / Intel / ARM
- Free disk space: 1GB
We are here to help. If you have any questions on the above, please contact us.
How do I enrol?
The Law Training Centre accepts applications throughout the year so that learners can start when it suits them most.
You can complete our Notarial Academic Training Course enrolment form here.
To ensure your enrolment is processed as quickly as possible, please make sure that you read the form carefully, and fill out all the required boxes. If you need any help or have questions, please contact us on 0330 088 8495 or [email protected]
What happens after I send my enrolment form?
Once received, your enrolment will be processed by our Student Services Team. If there are any queries at this stage, we will contact you.
We will issue your invoice according to your chosen option – either self–sponsored or firm-sponsored. If you are paying by instalments, a separate Direct Debit mandate email will be sent out for you to complete online, you will need to set up both the Direct Debit and complete the initial payment. Once the invoice has been paid (or the Direct Debit set up if applicable) please notify us by return email.
- Payment options:
You can pay by bank transfer to our account or by card using the payment link on your invoice. Cheques are accepted and your course login will be made live once the cheque has cleared into our bank account.
- Course Login:
Once we have processed your payment and the 14-day cooling-off period has passed or has been waived, please allow up to 2 working days from the invoice being paid to being emailed your course login.
Why choose us?
Our course delivery is uniquely engaging, having full regard of how precious time is for those not only studying law, but also practising at the same time.
We are here to support our students and partners by providing them with the tools to stand out from the competition and accelerate their legal career.