Law Training Centre’s short course, ‘The Legal System of England & Wales’, will provide you with the essential knowledge and understanding of the framework and functioning of the legal system of England and Wales. The course examines the sources of law, together with the procedure to be adopted, in the creation of the law and the challenges that can be made. Additionally, you will examine the court structure and the key roles within legal services and so much more.
Who is this course for?
Anyone that wants to learn and understand the Legal System of England & Wales.
What prior knowledge is needed for this course?
Law Training Centre’s Legal System of England and Wales short course does not have any entry requirements, which means that anyone can undertake the short course with us. The course is in English, so a basic understanding of the English language is required.
How long is my course access period?
Time for course completion?
Guided learning: 30 hours
Total qualification time: 60 hours
What is included with my fees?
- Written course notes within an interactive e-learning environment covering the core content and learning outcomes for each topic
- Pre-recorded lectures, covering key points and the application of knowledge to practice questions
- Support materials to cater to all learning styles, including flashcards, and revision guides
- Self-test questions
- Multiple choice question assessments
- Access to a personal academic coach
- Well-being, support and study tools
Topic 1: Introduction to Law
- Study skills
- Team skills
- Legal writing and writing law assessments
Topic 2: What is the Law for?
- The purpose of the law
- Overview of the English Legal System and key areas of law
Topic 3: The legal system and judiciary
- The Court System
- The Court Hierarchy
- The Appeal System
- The Judiciary
- Other Legal Personnel including Juries
Topic 4: Development of case law and doctrine of precedent
- Doctrine of Precedent
Topic 5: Legislation
- Legislative Process
- Structure of an Act of Parliament
- Secondary Legislation
Topic 6: Statutory interpretation
- Rules of Statutory Interpretation
- Legal Presumptions
- Rules of Language
- Aids of Interpretation
Topic 7: Constitutional Law
- UK Constitution
- Constitutional Principles and Conventions
- Royal Prerogative
- Parliamentary Privilege
- Functions and Composition of Parliament
Topic 8: Legitimacy and accountability
- Devolved Institutions
- Central Government
- Judicial Review
Topic 9: Human Rights
- The European Convention on Human Rights 1950
- The Human Rights Act 1998
Topic 10: Legal services
- Legal Regulatory Bodies
- Provision of Legal Services
- Overriding Legal Obligations
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed in the following ways:
- Topic MCQs: At the end of each topic a series of multiple-choice questions designed to assess knowledge of the particular topic.
- Final assessment: A final assessment comprising multiple choice questions applying knowledge gained across all topics to legal situations.
Each assessment is a timed assessment and can be completed on the online learning environment at any time. All attempts must take place within the course access period. For a certificate to be awarded on completion of the course, each element of the course must be completed, with an average score of at least 50% across all topic assessments and at least 50% achieved in the final assessment.
Course fees and enrolment
Please use the buttons below to view the course fees and enrol.
Law Training Centre accepts PayPal as a payment option. A link to PayPal will be provided on your invoice when you sign up for a course. PayPal is a secure card processor and allows you to use your debit or credit card to pay, you do not need to have a PayPal account to use this service.