The NALP Level 4 Diploma in Paralegal Studies is a qualification for:
- Those who have some paralegal experience and are looking to enhance their career.
- School leavers who want an alternative to university, and graduates.
- Student of other legal qualifications who can gain course work exemptions through studying NALP topics.
- Those who work in a non-legal role in law firms (e.g. in a secretarial or business administration role) and who have successfully completed the NALP Level 3 Paralegal Certificate or NALP Level 3 Paralegal Diploma.
- Students and staff who are currently not working as paralegals but who wish to work as Licensed Paralegals.
Level 4 is a UK government defined educational level that is academically comparable to the following:
- Certificate of Higher Education.
- Key Skills Level 4.
- NVQ Level 4.
- BTEC Professional award, Certificate and Diploma Level 4.
- Certificate of Higher Education.
The course is devised for those who have already studied a degree in a non-law discipline or who have two A levels in any subject (or two BTEC National Diplomas (NVQ/GNVQ Level 3 or above). It is also open to those who do not have a degree but who have studied Law to Level 3, eg:
Students who are over 25 years-old can apply without the above. However, they should contact us to confirm their eligibility as should students with non-UK qualifications. The NALP Level 4 Diploma in Paralegal Studies is only available in English. If this is not your first language, please supply proof that your spoken and written English is sufficient for the qualification, e.g. you have passed Level 6 International English Language Test (IELTS ) or GCSE English.
Diploma and topics explained
The NALP Level 4 Diploma in Paralegal Studies is comprised of the below units:
Each topic offers in-depth, theoretical and practical learning so students can demonstrate their professional know-how:
- Learning key skills
- Interpreting legal language
- Applying the law to real-life situations
- Developing key skills in taking instructions.
The total anticipated hours of study undertaken by an average learner for this Level 4 qualification is 150. This is based on taking approximately four minutes to understand each page of the learning materials and five hours for each assignment.
As part of their professional development, students may also study for individual units without completing the Diploma. This can be particularly helpful for overseas students studying in the UK for a law qualification. They can ask for exemptions from the subjects they have studied with NALP.
How will I be taught and assessed?
This Level 4 course is taught by online distance learning with all materials supplied. Students have a maximum of two years to complete the course from the date of enrolment.
A pass mark of 45% is set for each topic assignment – and every learning outcome detailed at enrolment must be achieved. A merit is set at 65% and a distinction is 80%
- Explain when contributory negligence may apply.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the rules of intestate succession and apply to a given scenario
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of legal personality.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Criminal court structure including the jurisdiction of each court.
- Explain the differences between summary, indictable, hybrid and arrestable offences.
- Explain the rules of statutory interpretation.
- Under law of contract, explain what constitutes a discharge by a breach and apply to a given scenario.
- Demonstrate an awareness of possible directions and case management tools.
- Understand the conditions and format of the Contract for Sale in conveyancing.
The course fees include one year Affiliate Membership of NALP. Membership is required in order to request and submit your assignments.
Topics of study
Course fees and enrolment
Please use the buttons below to view our course fees and enrol.
Law Training Centre accepts PayPal as a payment option. A link to PayPal will be provided on your invoice when you sign up for a course. PayPal is a secure card processor and allows you to use your debit or credit card to pay, you do not need to have a PayPal account to use this service.
What will I need before I get started?
To study your online course, you will need the following:
We are here to help. If you have any questions on the above, please contact us.
How do I enrol?
Law Training Centre accepts applications throughout the year so that learners can start when it suits them most.
You can request an enrolment form by completing our form. Once completed, you will receive the form directly to the email address you provide.
Please fill in the enrolment form and return it to [email protected]
To ensure your enrolment is processed as quickly as possible, please make sure that you read the form carefully, and fill out all the required boxes. If you need any help or have questions, please contact us on 0330 088 8495 or [email protected]
What happens after I send my enrolment form?
Once received, your enrolment will be processed by our Student Services Team. If there are any queries at this stage, we will contact you.
We will issue your invoice according to your chosen option – either self–sponsored or firm-sponsored. If you are paying by instalments, a separate Direct Debit mandate email will be sent out for you to complete online, you will need to set up both the Direct Debit and complete the initial payment. Once the invoice has been paid (or the Direct Debit set up if applicable) please notify us by return email.
- Payment options:
You can pay by bank transfer to our account or by card using the payment link on your invoice. Cheques are accepted and your course login will be made live once the cheque has cleared into our bank account.
- Course Login:
Once we have processed your payment and the 14-day cooling-off period has passed or has been waived, please allow up to 2 working days from the invoice being paid to being emailed your course login.
Why choose us?
Our course delivery is uniquely engaging, having full regard of how precious time is for those not only studying law, but also practising at the same time.
We are here to support our students and partners by providing them with the tools to stand out from the competition and accelerate their legal career.