Law Training Centre’s short course, ‘The Employment law of England & Wales’, will provide you with the essential knowledge and understanding of the framework and functioning of the employment law of England and Wales. A Knowledge of employment law is beneficial for both employers and employees in order to understand their respective rights and responsibility in the work place. The course covers a number of important employment related topics such as the employment contract, conditions of employment and more. Both law and non-law students will benefit from having knowledge of employment principles and fundamentals rules.
Enrolment for this course is now open.
Who is this course for?
Anyone that wants to learn and understand the Employment Law of England & Wales.
What prior knowledge is needed for this course?
Law Training Centre’s Employment Law of England and Wales short course does not have any entry requirements, which means that anyone can undertake the short course with us. The course is in English so a basic understanding of the English language is required.
How long is my course access period?
Time for course completion?
Guided learning: 30 hours
Total qualification time: 60 hours
What is included with my fees?
- Written course notes within an interactive e-learning environment covering the core content and learning outcomes for each topic
- Pre-recorded lectures, covering key points and the application of knowledge to practice questions
- Support materials to cater to all learning styles, including flashcards, and revision guides
- Self-test questions
- Multiple choice question assessments
- Access to a personal academic coach
- Well-being, support and study tools
Topic 1: Introduction to Employment Law
- Introduction to Employment law
- Employment Law and the Court structure
Topic 2: Types of Employment Contracts
- Zero-hour contracts
- Agency contracts
- Part-time contracts
Topic 3: Formation and conditions of an employment contract
- Job title/description
- Start date and location
- Pay rates and periods
- Hours or work, holiday and sick pay
- Pension arrangements
- Notice period
- Grievance and appeal arrangements
- Disciplinary and dismissal
Topic 4: Fair Treatment of Employees
- The Equality Act
- Types of discrimination
- Legal consequences for breach of the Act
Topic 5: Pay Discrimination
- Pay discrimination
- Protection afforded to employees
- Breach by an employer
Topic 6: Disability discrimination
- Meaning of disability
- Employer obligations
- Reasonable adjustments
- Identification of sexual harassment
- Forms of sexual harassment
- Applicable law
- Steps to take in the case of harassment
Topic 8: Termination of Employment
- Types of termination
- Consequences of termination
- Procedure to follow
Topic 9: Restraint of Trade Clauses
- Restraint of trade clauses explained
- Lawfulness of the restraint
- Use of restraint clauses
Topic 10: Dispute Resolution
- Early conciliation
- Collective conciliation
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed in the following ways:
- Topic MCQs: At the end of each topic a series of multiple-choice questions designed to assess knowledge of the particular topic.
- Final assessment: A final assessment comprising multiple choice questions applying knowledge gained across all topics to legal situations.
Each assessment is a timed assessment and can be completed on the online learning environment at any time. All attempts must take place within the course access period. For a certificate to be awarded on completion of the course, each element of the course must be completed, with an average score of at least 50% across all topic assessments and at least 50% achieved in the final assessment.
Course fees and enrolment
Please use the buttons below to view our course fees and enrol.
Law Training Centre accepts PayPal as a payment option. A link to PayPal will be provided on your invoice when you sign up for a course. PayPal is a secure card processor and allows you to use your debit or credit card to pay, you do not need to have a PayPal account to use this service.