Graduate Fast-track Diploma (Level 6 Diploma in Legal Practice)
|GRADUATE FAST-TRACK DIPLOMA STUDY UNITS (LEVEL 6)||UNIT TYPE||LINKED LAW UNIT COMPLETED IN YOUR UNIVERSITY DEGREE*||ASSEMENT METHOD|
|Unit 15||Civil Litigation||Practice||Contract Law or Law of Tort||Examination based on pre-released case study twice a year in January and June (3 hours)|
|Unit 16||The Practice of Company and Partnership Law||Practice||Company and Partnership Law|
|Unit 17||Conveyancing||Practice||Land Law|
|Unit 18||Criminal Litigation||Practice||Criminal Law|
|Unit 19||The Practice of Employment Law||Practice||Employment/Labour Law|
|Unit 20||The Practice of Family Law||Practice||Family Law|
|Unit 21||Probate Practice||Practice||Law of Wills and Succession|
|Unit 22||Client Care Skills||Professional Skills (Assessment based)||Mandatory||Task based assessment, no exams. Internally assessed and externally moderated. Submission windows to submit work twice a year in January and June|
*You must choose at least one Practice unit that relates to a subject you studied within your law degree or GDL. The second Practice Unit is your own choice.
Courtesy of www.cilex.org.uk
HOW CAN I STUDY MY CILEx COURSE WITH LTC?
At LTC we offer CILEx tuition in two formats – online study (supported distance learning that you can study from anywhere at any time including internationally) and classroom learning at our Canterbury centre:
Online learning (supported distance learning): You can start the course at any time with our online supported distance learning courses. As our online courses give you 12mths access they cover you for 2 possible exam windows. Please see below for further details on what is included in the online learning courses including the pricing.
Classroom learning: The classroom courses run twice a year (from September – January and February – June each). All classroom learners receive full access to the online learner area as detailed below and in addition to this self-study element classroom learners have weekly tutorials at the centre.
The tutorials run in the evenings weekdays, usually Tuesday – Thursdays. The classes take the form of a weekly tutorial per subject (so for example if you were doing two subjects at once you would have 2 tutorials at the centre per week).
Over the summer break we also run the Professional Skills units as classroom-based units which will allow you to get this mandatory unit done before the September semester starts.
To express an interest or enquire on the availability or costs of the classroom courses please contact us with the units you are looking to undertake in the next semester. Our advisors will then contact you to discuss further and provide pricing.
Frequently asked questions
What will I receive in an LTC CILEx Online course?
For each unit you study, you will receive the following:
- Course access and support: 1-year access, per individual unit, to all e-learning materials and tutor support
- Unlimited tutor support, and your queries answered within 24 hours
- A step-by-step study plan, setting out a suggested programme of study for your unit
- Pre-recorded lectures, covering the learning outcomes for the unit and the key legal points that need to be studied to ensure your success in the exams
- Additional checklists, summaries, flashcards and study materials to help you prepare and revise for your exams
- Additional free e-books for life on the English Legal System, Contract, and Land Law, that are specifically designed to explain difficult concepts, and to help you revise and prepare for exams. More subjects will be added soon. The full e-book functionality allows users to easily annotate, highlight and create custom flashcards.
- Free access for LTC learners to the Thomson Reuters Practical Law, the leading online legal know-how service used by over 140,000 lawyers worldwide. Practical Law provides unparalleled range of resources from practice notes, current awareness, checklists, standard documents and a unique ‘Ask-Legal Query service’, which are invaluable for students needing practical guidance.
- Intensive revision sessions ahead of the January and June exams:
- For Practice subjects, the tutor lead revision sessions focus on the CILEx pre-release case study materials, analysing the scenarios and the exam techniques needed to successfully answer all questions.
- For Law subjects, the tutor lead revision sessions focus on the typical types of questions found in Sections A and B, and the exam techniques needed to successfully answer all questions.
- An interactive online forum where you can interact with other students on the course
Which textbooks should I use?
Learners may purchase and use any textbooks for their CILEx courses, provided that they meet the required level at which they are studying, whether level 3 or level 6. LTC students benefit from substantial discounts from Oxford University Press textbooks.
Our suggestions on which books to purchase are:
Level 3 textbooks
For Level 3 we suggest the CILEx Law School (CLS) manuals which are available to purchase directly from the CILEx Law School website here. (Please click ‘just looking for a course manual’.)
Level 6 textbooks
For Level 6 we recommend the CILEx recommended texts, by Oxford University Press. Please see the full list, including statute books, here: CILEx Recommended Reading list.
LTC Students benefit from a 25% discount from the recommended textbooks and statute books, via the Oxford University press LTC web shop (login provided upon enrolment).
How are the units delivered and assessed?
We have designed a flexible approach to studying the CILEx units, with a supported distance-learning model, which blends the best of e-learning and tutor support. This system enables you to study at your own pace and gives you unlimited support from our experienced tutors at the same time. Each CILEx unit (except for Professional Skills) is assessed via an exam.
Assessment (Exam) Arrangements:
Each CILEx Level 3 and Level 6 Law and Practice unit is assessed by an exam that can be taken at your local external CILEx exam centre, in January and June of each year.
- You can choose when to sit the exam – you do not need to choose the next sitting after starting your course.
- The full list of nationwide CILEx exam venues can be seen here.
- Exam fees: CILEx requires learners to pay the relevant fee for each exam they enter, regardless of which training provider they study with. Details of fees can be found here
- Please note that prior to taking the exam, CILEx requires that candidates must have studied each relevant unit at an accredited centre.
- Exam registration deadlines must be adhered to, and full details of the key dates can be found here.
- Overseas students are welcome, but please note that overseas students must make exam arrangements in their country or residence, and get approval from CILEx directly, well in advance – please see the Overseas Student’ tab here.
Who are the tutors?
All our tutors are law lecturers and practitioners with a wealth of experience in the legal sector. They include CILEx Fellows, Licensed Conveyancers, Solicitors, Barristers, Chief Examiners and Assessors, University Lecturers and Law Book Authors with related subject experience. They have been trained to deliver our courses in an interactive and engaging manner.
How much tutor support can I expect to receive?
For each unit (subject) on which you are enrolled, you will have a unit tutor whom you can contact directly by email, forums or webinars.
- You can contact your tutor at any time with any queries that you have relating to the legal topic you are studying.
- Your tutor is there to support you throughout your studies and will provide you with prompt and clear replies to all your questions.
- Tutors will also support you through forums on each subject.
- Revision sessions for exams: During exam revision periods there are live question and answer webinars with your tutor(s). At LTC we have designed revision webinars to focus on the key areas of exam-writing skills, as well the expected standard to pass a CILEx exam. For Practice units, the tutors will work with you in analysing the pre-released case study materials, to help you understand all the information presented to you.
Can I resit an exam?
We feel personally invested in our students’ success, and we therefore offer, as standard, on all our CILEx units, a 12-month access period, which allows you access to materials and support for up to two possible exam sittings. In the highly unlikely event that you are unsuccessful on your first attempt, you can simply re-register with CILEx to sit the exam at the next sitting. CILEx do not place a limit on the number of times you can sit an exam.
Do I need to have any prior qualifications?
Whilst no prior qualifications are needed, we advise that all students have a minimum GCSE or equivalent qualification in English and Maths. If you are unsure, please contact us and we will be happy to provide further guidance.
You do not need to have any prior legal qualifications or practical legal experience to start the courses.
What can I do if my course with LTC expires and I have not taken the exam?
Upon course expiry (12 months from enrolling) you will no longer have access to the learning materials and support for that unit in the Learner Area.
You will still be able to enter CILEx exams. For Professional Skills you will be able to enter those units, provided your LTC tutor gave you a provisional pass for the work you submitted to LTC.
If you need more than 12 months, you can renew your course at a heavily discounted rate.
Further important information:
The CILEx Information for students page on the CILEx website is an important resource, and we advise that you familiarise yourself with it at the beginning of your studies. You will find useful information and updates relating to student handbooks, exam policies, deadlines, CILEx registration fees, past papers and suggested answers, exam timetables and even the Chief Examiner reports.
The full qualifications rules and a comprehensive guide to each qualification can be found in the latest CILEx Qualification Handbooks.
CILEx and LTC – Why do I need to deal with bodies?
The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) is the membership and awarding body for the CILEx qualifications. Therefore, CILEx set, run and mark the exams and issue certificates. CILEx also set the membership fees and associated charges for qualifying.
The Law Training Centre (LTC) is an accredited CILEx study centre. Only accredited study centres can deliver training that allows you to enter the CILEx exams, and qualify. LTC is your training provider and delivers tuition for your CILEx studies, and the support you need to pass your CILEx exams.
Can I get Student Discounts as an LTC Student?
LTC Students can apply for a NUS Extra Discount Card. You can apply for your card once you have enrolled on your course – more details can be found in your learner area.
How much do the Diplomas cost?
One-off payment options
Interest free instalment options
|Diploma/Unit Total cost||Winter discount price||Total cost spread over instalments||Winter discount price||Initial payment due on enrolment||Winter discount initial payment||Followed by Direct Debit payments||Winter discount Direct Debit payments||Number of monthly instalments|
Graduate Fast Track Diploma (Level 6)
|Level 6 Fast Track Diploma (3 Units)||£1,185.00||£1,066.50||£1,185.00|
spread over 4 payments
** This offer is valid for enrolments received between the 8th of February and 31st March 2019 only.
* Exemptions: If claiming exemption(s), please send copies of the relevant transcript(s) to email@example.com for confirmation before enrolling on any Diploma.
Payments can be made by bank transfer or by card online. If taking advantage of our interest free instalment plan, a Direct Debit must be set up as part of the enrolment process and be kept in place until all payments have been made. Please note that failed Direct Debit payments may result in an administrative charge being made and course access suspended.
VAT Treatment: No VAT will be added for private individuals. For firms, VAT will be added to invoices for VAT registered entitities at the prevailing rate.
How to Apply
To apply and enrol on our classroom based CILEx courses please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to express and interest and enquire regarding dates and possible subjects.
If you wish to discuss this qualification further and find out how it could help you advance your career please contact us on 0330 088 8495 or email@example.com to speak with one of our advisors.