Become a Licensed Conveyancer with the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC)
Frequently Asked Questions:
When can I enrol and can I start whenever I want?
You can enrol and start at any time.
How are the course units delivered and assessed?
We have designed a flexible approach to studying the CLC units with a supported distance-learning model which blends the best of e-learning and tutor support, enabling you to study at your own pace while at the same time having unlimited support from our experienced tutors.
At Level 4, all units apart from one (the Accounts unit), are assessment-based and therefore you have the flexibility to complete these assessments in the comfort of your own environment when you are ready.
At Level 6, all units are assessed under exam conditions as follows:
Assessment options available (for exam-based units)
- In-house: at your regulated firm at a date of your choosing (regulated by SRA, CLC or CILEx)
- External centre: at one of our external centres around the country during fixed assessment dates (March, June, September and December each year)
- LTC: At the LTC centre in Canterbury at a date of your choosing (subject to availability)
For each unit you study, you will receive the following:
- Course access and support for full diplomas: 2 years access to all e-learning materials and tutor support
- Course access and support for individual units: 1-year access to all e-learning materials and tutor support
- Unlimited tutor support with learner queries being answered in 24 hours
- A step-by-step study plan, setting out a suggested programme of study for your unit
- Pre-recorded lectures, covering the learning outcomes for the unit and the key legal points that need to be studied to ensure your success in the exams
- Group tutorial workshops (webinars), discussing the legal theory that was covered in the pre-recorded lectures, enabling candidates to have all their questions answered
- One to one tutorials with your course tutor (webinars)
- Additional checklists, summaries and study materials to help you prepare for your exams
- The official SQA course manual (PDF and hard copy
- Additional free e-books for life on English Legal System, Contract and Land Law which are specifically designed to explain difficult concepts, revise and prepare for assessments.
- Full e-book functionality allows users to easily annotate, highlight and create custom flashcards.
- Free access for LTC learners to the Thomson Reuters Practical Law, the leading online legal know-how service used by over 140,000 lawyers worldwide. Practical Law provides unparalleled range of resources from practice notes, current awareness, checklists, standard documents and a unique ‘Ask-Legal Query service’, which are invaluable for students needing practical guidance.
- The official SQA course manual (PDF and hard copy)
- Weekly mini-assessments to ensure you are on track with your studying
- Intensive revision sessions
- An interactive online forum where you can interact with other students on the course
- The provision of the final unit assessment and certificate
How long will it take me to complete each unit?
Level 4 units will normally take 2-4 months to complete, whereas Level 6 units will take between 3-6 months to complete, depending on previous knowledge of the legal area.
Completing both Diplomas (all 8 units) will take, on average, approximately 2-3 years.
All our students receive 2 years access per diploma (4 years access in total) to our online materials and resources allowing them to complete their qualifications at a pace that suits their needs.
Who are the tutors?
All our tutors are law lecturers and practitioners with a wealth of experience in the legal sector. They include firm partners, solicitors and barristers with subject experience, who have been trained to deliver our courses in an interactive and engaging manner.
How much tutor support can I expect to receive?
You will receive bi-monthly live tutorials to have all your questions answered. In addition, you will have access to a personal tutor that you can reach by email/phone/Skype with your queries.
What additional support will be available for assessment and exams?
You will have access to mini-assessments as well as mock exams to ensure you are prepared for your final assessment.
How will the courses be examined?
For the Level 4 Diplomas and, with the exception of the accountancy unit, you will be examined via a number of assessments, which will take approximately 2 weeks to complete before submitting them for marking. The accountancy unit is assessed via an exam and it will need to be taken in one of our exam centres or at your own regulated firm. All Level 6 units are assessed via exams and can be sat in one of our exam centres or at your own regulated firm.
What happens if I fail an exam?
We feel personally invested in our students’ success and, as such, in the highly unlikely event that you are unsuccessful on your first attempt, you can re-submit your assessment for free or, if the unit was assessed via an exam, re-enrol for the unit at no extra cost.
Do I need to have any prior qualifications?
Whilst no prior qualifications are needed, we advise that all students have a minimum GCSE, or equivalent, qualification in English and Maths. If you are unsure, please contact us and we will be happy to provide further guidance.
You do not need to have any prior legal qualifications or practical legal experience to start the courses.
Can I be ‘dual licensed’ for both Conveyancing and Probate?
Yes, you can. The CLC offers a fast route to becoming licensed in both the areas.
For example, if you were to become a Licensed Conveyancer first:
- Once qualified as a CLC Conveyancer you would then need to study just two further Level 6 units relating to Wills / Probate (you will be exempt from all of Level 4 and the Level 6 Accounts unit)
- 1,200hrs Qualifying Experience in Probate will be needed
- The above process would be ‘vice versa’ if you wanted to become a Licensed Probate Practitioner first and then a Licensed Conveyancer.
- Please refer to the guidance attached ‘CLC Exemptions Available for candidates with CLC qualifications’ for more details.
Once you have become Licensed, you will be qualified as a professional property or probate lawyer to undertake unsupervised legal work in those areas anywhere in England and Wales
How do I qualify as s CLC lawyer?
To apply to become licensed by the CLC you will apply directly to CLC and full details of how to do this can be found on the CLC Website.
Whilst you must check the CLC guidance notes for full details we have summarised the steps here:
- You must have completed the academic requirements of passing Level 4 and Level 6 (or been awarded exemptions for certain unit)
- You must acquire 1,200hrs of Practical Experience (PE). The 1,200hrs equates to approximately 10 months’ work full time in a conveyancing department.
- The scope of employment is actually very broad and even includes working in banks and building societies as well as law firms.
- You could finish the entire academic element is as little as 18 months.
- As the PE can be acquired before/during/after your studies, it is possible that you could become licensed in as little as 18 months if you are also working whilst studying.
- Please refer to the CLC website for full details on the applications forms and any queries about the environment you intend on working in to gain PE.
How do I qualify as a CLC Conveyancing Technician?
Completion of the Level 4 Diploma in Conveyancing Law and Practice (or equivalent if applying for exemptions) together with 6 months work experience will allow you to enhance your training by giving you the opportunity to qualify as a Registered Conveyancing Technician.
What do CLC Technicians do?
Conveyancing Technicians manage a small caseload of residential property transactions and their role is to support the work of a property lawyer. Conveyancing Technicians work closely with clients and other property professionals.
Where do CLC Technicians work?
Conveyancing Technicians can work anywhere that deals with the transfer of a title to property or land in a legal department headed by a qualified person. The scope of employment is not limited to a law firm; it ranges from housing associations and local authorities, across banks and building societies to property development companies and even railways and airports.
To find out more, including how to apply to be registered please visit the CLC Conveyancing Technician guidance page
How much do the Diplomas cost?
Payment options for Property Law and Practice Diplomas, Single Units and Instalment options
|One-Off Payment Options||Instalment Options (interest free)|
|Level 4||Diploma / Unit |
|Total cost spread over instalments||Initial Payment|
due on enrolment
by Direct Debit Instalments:
|Level 4 Diploma |
(5 units per diploma)
Saving of £350.00 over buying units individually
|£2,900.00||£2,900.00 spread over 13 payments||£375.00||12 x £210.42 pm|
|Level 4 Individual Units|
except for The English Legal System Unit
|£675.00||£675.00 spread over 6 payments||£112.50||5 x £112.50 pm|
|Level 4 The English Legal System Unit||£550.00||£550.00 spread over 6 payments||£91.67||5 x £91.67 pm|
|Level 6 Diploma |
(3 units per diploma)
Saving of £285.00 over buying units individually
|£2,400.00||£2,400.00 spread over 13 payments||£375.00||12 x £168.75 pm
|Level 6 Individual Units|
|£895.00||£895.00 spread over 6 payments||£149.17||5 x £149.17 pm|
Privately paying students: No VAT will be added for private individuals
Firms: VAT will be added to invoices for VAT registered entities at the prevailing rate
Payments can be made by card online, bank transfer and cheque.
Why is LTC different from any other training provider?
We at LTC are specialised legal trainers, solely focused on the provision of legal and business training for aspiring and qualified lawyers. We have a deep understanding of the current legal sector and the training needs of those who work within it. Our course delivery is uniquely engaging, having full regard of how precious time is for those not only studying law, but also practicing at the same time.
We are here to support our students and partners by providing them with the tools to stand out from the competition and accelerate their legal career.
‘For me, the highlight of studying with the LTC is its service – you get the teaching support you need, at every stage of the course.‘
CILEx Graduate Fast-Track student